Friday, March 20, 2015

Sublime apple & cinnamon cake

I am craving cake. People may crave chocolate or sweets but I tend to crave cake. It's a blustery day out today and I've already made the most of it with a morning swim with the kids. Poked around a pile of dry leaves on the search for lizards and as while Mr4 was trying to catch them, my girlfriend discovered that it really is true, the tails detach and squirm around. We uncovered the trail of a snail and helped it on its way and before long it was time for afternoon tea, All I had to work with was a granny smith apple, a lime, and the usual cake making ingredients. The results were a moist delicious cake, I've already cut myself a 2 pieces before the kids and my inlaws are back from a visit to the museum. I'm not sure there will be much to devour when they get back.


Ingredients


Dry ingredients
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 & 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp bi carb soda
pinch of salt
zest of 1 lime

Wet ingredients
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of melted butter

1 apple sliced thinly (I keep the skin on)


Method


1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease 18cm  (5.5inch) diameter cake tin
2. Mix all the dry ingredients into a big bowl
3. Then add the wet ingredients on top of the dry ingredients and whisk up with a fork.
4.Cut the apple into quarters, remove core the put through the food processor to cut into thin slices.
5.Fill 1/4 of the cake tin with the batter, then add 2 layers of the apple.
6. Add another layer of batter to the pan then top with the apple slice until the batter mix is finished.
7. Bake for 40-50 mins, until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
8. Allow the cake to cool before placing onto the serving plate.


Handy hints


I always cut out a circular cut out with baking paper to place on the bottom of the cake tin so you never have an incident where the bottom of the cake gets stuck.

Use a food processor or mandolin to cut the apple thinly.

No comments:

Post a Comment